What do you know about the British Isles?
WebQuest para 3º Curso de ESO
Mª José Pinalla Solis
As you know, next May our school is going to organize a Cultural Week and it is our duty to prepare a brochure to contribute to it and get people to know British culture (traditions, food, education…). Besides, through this unit you will get a lot of information about the topics proposed and it will allow you to compare both cultures.
Will you be able to do it? Let’s start
Each member of your group will become an expert who will gather information on a different aspect related to the British Isles by using Internet web sites . When you have all the information you need, organise it in a sensible way and prepare a power point presentation and a brochure including information about the countries which make up The British Isles, the food, the festivals…. In addition, you must include pictures and images to appeal to the eyes of other students. Then you will have to explain it orally to the class
Finally you will notice the differences between life in The British Isles and your own lifestyle and you will decide if you would like to live in any of its countries and why.
Here are the steps you have to follow to do the task:
1. Your teacher will make groups of five.
2. Each member has to choose an aspect of the British Isles and become its expert by doing the subtask required in each case. The topics and subtasks are:
a)The British Isles:
Subtask: Find information about the countries which make up the British Isles.
Draw or capture maps about these countries.
Answer these questions:
· “I’m British, but I don’t come from England or Wales.” Where does he come from?
· “Yes, I’m a citizen of The United Kingdom, but I don’t live in Great Britain.” Where does he come from?
· “I live in the British Isles but I’m not from the UK! Where does he come from?
b) Festivals and celebrations:
Subtask: choose three famous celebrations and write a report about them stating when, why and how they are celebrated.
c) Traditional British food:
· What do the British eat?
· When do they eat their meals?
· What are their meals called?
· What is the difference between a typical breakfast and a traditional one?
· Write a report and capture images of traditional British dishes
· Elaborate a menu you can eat in a pub including the price in pounds, then calculate the cost of the menu in euros.
d) Education in Britain:
Subtask: Look for relevant information about the education in Britain: the age children start school, different types of schools, the school days, the vacation, the hours students attend schools, the subjects they study. Compare this system with the one we have in Spain and find out what year you would be in England.
e) Famous places and monuments to visit:
Subtask: choose three famous places and monuments to visit, write a report saying where they are and why they are famous. You can capture images to make it more attractive.
f) Using the information and images you've chosen, create a Power Point and a brochure to be presented to the class.
Diccionario inglés-español online http://www.wordreference.com/definicion/
Escala de estimación:
In case you had the opportunity of travelling to Great Britain, which country would you like to visit? Why?
What aspects of the British culture have impressed you the most?
Of all you have learnt what would you like to include in your own culture?